Letter of No Impediment
Typically, foreign governmental authorities require that this certificate be submitted before they will grant a marriage certificate. The document is required so as to confirm to the foreign issuing authorities that the South African citizen’s details are correct and that the person is not in an existing marriage in South Africa for example, i.e. that there are no legal impediments preventing the person from entering into a marriage.
All South African citizens intending to enter into a marriage which will be entered into in another country are eligible for the certificate of no impediment.
The document is called different things in different countries such as:
- Letter of No Impediment
- Certificate of No Impediment
- Letter or Certificate of Non-Impediment.
- Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry
- Statutory Declaration of Single Status
- Affidavit of Intended Marriage
- Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad
- Certificate de Coutume
- Certificate of Nulla Osta and
- Certificate of Freedom to Marry
being just a few.
The following information is reflected on the document:
- A person’s Full Names
- Identification or passport number
- Place and Date of Birth
- Person making the declaration’s signature
- Witness’ signature
There are certain requirements and procedures that have to be followed before home affairs will issue a letter of no impediment. Feel free to discuss your requirements with a Q-Pro representative who will advise you of your options. Simply fill out the form below or contact us on the number listed below and we will contact you.