011 499 4020 WhatsApp 073 668 6627 info@q-pro.co.za
Select Page

South African Unabridged Birth Certificates

South African Unabridged Birth Certificates

Don’t leave home without one

Parents or legal guardians of a minor under the age of 18 intending to travel internationally are strongly advised to apply for the child’s Unabridged Birth Certificate timeously in order to avoid the risk of being turned away at the Airlines boarding gates. Even though travel agencies do their best to inform clients of this possibility, families are still regularly being turned away at airlines gates even though this requirement has been in effect for a number of years.

What is an Unabridged Birth Certificate?

An unabridged birth certificate is the new format of birth certificate issued to parents of children born in South Africa since 2015. These certificates are required by all minors under the age of 18 crossing any South African land sea or air border.

Minors under the age of 18 will not be allowed to enter or leave South Africa unless they present this certificate in addition to other travel documents that may be required. It is the responsibility of a parent or legal guardian to obtain the child’s Unabridged Birth Certificate in good time.

Documents required to be presented if a child is traveling with both parents:

Children traveling with both parents

Where a child is traveling with both parents the following documents would need to be presented to a immigration officer:

  • Unabridged Birth Certificate
  • A valid passport
  • Entry visas where required

Traveling with only one parent:

Where a child is traveling with one parent the following document will be required in addition to the above:

Express written permission by the absent parent allowing the child to travel internationally with the child.

Where a parent is deceased

Where a child is traveling with only one parent where the other parent is deceased.

In this case the parent needs to present a certified copy of the deceased parent’s death certificate.

Where a Child is Traveling Alone

Where a child is traveling alone without parents, the following documents are required to be presented:

  • Express written permission of both parents or the child’s legal guardian.
  • Full details and address and telephone numbers of the guardian who will be looking after the child in the final destination.

Do you need to travel but can’t be bear to queue at home affairs?

Q-Pro can help.

Q-pro is an independent document sourcing specialist with no ties to Home Affairs.

Simply fill out the form and a friendly Q-Pro consultant will contact you to finalise the details. We bear the queues so that you don’t have to.

[vfb id=1]

Q-Pro Document Services

Q-Pro document services specialises in facilitating the application of critical personal documents for time poor clients.

E-mail: info@q-pro.co.za

Address: 18 Fraser Street, Booysens, 2091

Phone – Local South Africa: 011 499 4020

Phone – International: + 27 11 499 4020

Business Hours: 08h00 – 16h30, Monday – Friday